Wednesday, February 08, 2006

A question for my readers...

I have a date this Saturday, and all seems to be going swimmingly, but I do have one question, that has plagued me on other dates similiarly-

Is it still traditional (and expected) for the gentleman in question to pick a girl up from her house before the date?

A bit of background- we're going on a date into the city, where he lives, whilst I live quite far out, so he would have to come get me, turn around, and then go back, which would take about an hour and a half of driving all up. He's offered to drive me home after (so I can drink, I'm only on my provisional licence) and otherwise is generally the perfect (and charming!) gentleman.

Should I be concerned? Am I over reacting? There's this little voice in my head whispering that if he -really- liked me, he'd drive out to get me. Is that nuts in this day and age?

g

2 Comments:

Blogger Andrew Webster said...

If it was me, there's be no question, of course I'd drive out to pick you up. But then again I'm a lecherous old charmer!

I've found that it's worth being wary of those times you catch yourself using words like "should". They suggest that there is a belief that the world "should" be a certain way, and that can shut down possibilities other than that way. Most restictive.

Things are the way they are. As you establish what the two of you have in common, the things you both want that align with each other, then you'll discover the shape of the possible relationship.

So, if you really want a man who pampers you, and he wants to care for his woman in every way, then yaay! Revel in the luxury.

But beware making judgements on him. If he doesn't want to make the drive, there may yet be other wonderful attributes about the man, and you could miss them if you shut him down for not wanting to drive that far.

I love dishing out advice me! But I do have something of a training in it, so you might as well make the most of it eh?

(Question: do you know if there is any way to have Blogger warn me about comments made on your site. I don't want to miss update. I've got an RSS feed already so I know what you make new posts - it's comments I want to track.)

8:18 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm.. difficut one, g.

Nothing should be traditional.. I mean, act on the reality that presents itself, not on what is imagined to be the norm.

That said, and given the 45 minute drive expected for you to get to the date.. I'd be, at least, offering to pick you up.

8:33 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home